The Life and Times of a Simon MBA Student

Tuesday, April 27, 2004

The Acceptances

Since I started my Blog rather late in the process, today I will discuss the colleges I applied to and how I arrived at my final decision.

NYU (Stern): I worked day and night, got my essays ready, and applied in R1. I got an email back mid Feb that I was not accepted. I guess that could also be a good thing since I live 30 minutes from NYC, now I get to go and explore new corners of the east cost. I plan on calling the admissions department in mid August to check what was lacking in my application. I am not bitter toward NYU, I understand that Stern has high standards and maybe I was not the perfect fit.

U of Rochester (Simon): This is the college, where I will be spending the next 2 years. A private school with about 200 FT MBA students divided in large groups (co-hearts) and sub divided into groups of 5 students. I had my interview with Simon in January with Rebekah (a lovely lady) at the Simon NYC weekend (a big recruiting event). This was the first time the new Dean Mark Zupman was in NYC, so there was a big Alumni turnout. The Alumnus I talked to had nothing but praise for the program, which was very encouraging.
When I got accepted to the program I received a call from Dean Zupman himself congratulating me on my acceptance. I also received a decent financial package from the college. I went to the accepted student welcoming weekend at Rochester and this is when I realized that Rochester would be perfect. The cost of living is low in Rochester. The only downside to the place was, Rochester is not a party city. THIS IS AN UPSIDE FOR ME. I mailed in my security deposit check in mid May and now I will be officially joining Simon in FALL of this year.

U.S.C (Marshall): I had my interview with U.S.C in N.Y.C; I read somewhere that around the range of 80% of the students interviewed, are accepted to the program. Hence, when I got the interview call I was happy about the situation. I thought to myself “even I can’t mess this one up”. Well the interviewer was originally from NJ and a nice lady. Although she was a bit conceited about USC, as I recall her, telling me “Well we are USC”. I am thinking well I want to go to NYU.
USC is a good school, the only reason I did not end up going there was because I did not receive any scholarships from them. I also did not want to live in LA, I have had an exhaustive social life for the past few years, and now I want to get on track by really concentrating on my future. The cost of living is also very high in LA. NYU was my premier choice but I gave USC preference over Maryland because it was a private school and I had had enough of public Universities.

Maryland (Smith):
After Simon (Rochester) I think admissions people at Maryland were the nicest of the bunch. I was treated with respect (unlike Georgetown), and the students actually seemed like they were happy with the program. I took the tour with the ViBe program and everything worked out very well. The only bad thing is, this is again a state university, and the state of Maryland is not doing that well last I herd. I had concerns about the funding being cut for Maryland U as a whole and then that having an effect of Smith?

GEORGETOWN (McDonough): YUCK! Is the only word that comes to mind when I think of my experience with this prestigious university. I went for an early interview in the beginning of November, where a student interviewed me. Now I do not know why these colleges do this but I am against student interviewing. Right of the back I was told that she was having a “hectic” day. The decision was about 3 weeks late, I was put on hold for half an hour once, and the admissions department was cold. I had gotten 2 acceptances before I got the rejection letter and laughed when I got the email. I emailed back inquiring about the reason and have not herd from them so far (4 months running). This was the worst $125 I have ever spent.

Rice (Jones): I had a pleasant experience with Rice U. as well. Everything went according to plan. I applied got a phone interview call within 2 days; the interview was this nice international student from Africa. I am against student interviews, how can a student substitute someone from the admissions committee with years of experience? It also feels as if I am not worth the attention of an admissions committee member.
I chose to apply to rice as my second Tier school, although I have never been there, I hear the place is nice and when I was applying (December weather in NJ) going to Houston made a lot of sense. I was offered a decent package from Rice nothing ravishing. Rice is somewhat my type of a school, the program is rather small, and everyone I talked to said that you would get more than enough attention from the faculty and staff members. I would definitely recommend the college.


Rutgers:
This is a great University; the admission process was rather painless. I was not required to go to any interviews. I went to an open house and met Ms Rita Gallen (Dean of Admissions) on the New Brunswick campus. Ms Gallen was very helpful and I am very thankful for all the guidance that she gave me. I applied to the college in December of 2003 and got my acceptance letter mid Feb ’04. I was rather disappointed, as the letter did not accompany any scholarship letters.
Although I did not go to Rutgers B-school myself, I am a strong supporter of the college and believe that the only other local college that is able to compete with Rutgers B-School is Fordham (great alumni network). Rutgers is better than Seaton Hall, NJIT, Fairleigh Dickinson, Drexel, and most other non-recognized programs available in NJ, NYC, or PA. (Obviously, schools like Columbia, Wharton, and NYU do not fall in this mix).

3 Comments:

  • Hello..I came across your blog and it was interesting to read about your experiences. Can you give me an idea about the type of questions you were quizzed on for Rochester. Tks Naina

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:09 PM  

  • Hi,

    I have got admission in both Simon and Smith with scholarship in both schools.
    I am planning to do my MBA in market research and Consulting.

    Can you share your experience in Simon and how are the job prospects in Simon. Considering both locations besides NY and the salary, what do you suggest? Should I join Smith or Simon?

    By Blogger Shivangini P, at 5:07 PM  

  • you did a consequential job. The info is greatly appreciated
    [IMG]http://www.sedonarapidweightloss.com/weightloss-diet/34/b/happy.gif[/IMG]

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home